Tuesday, June 26, 2012

"I Want A Rematch"

Rematch
It was the fall of 2009.  I was just coming to grips with the fact that my career as a Realtor was coming to an end.  I had decided that I was going to pursue what I felt was my true calling and God's purpose for my life.  I started writing and preparing to speak anywhere that someone would allow me to speak.

I had a vision of what I wanted to happen, and I went for it with everything that I had.  Doing something new, after years of doing something so long that it seemed like second nature, was a struggle for me.  I knew that I couldn't go back to the good old days as a successful Realtor, and I wasn't used to my new career in the speaking and writing business.  But I kept moving forward.  I got my business registered, built my website, and joined organizations in my field.

I began calling people and looking for opportunities to speak and write.  Some people seem interested, and told me they would keep me in mind.  Then I got my first paid speaking engagement, and that was a very good feeling.  I'm thinking, "wow, this is really happening".  I was going to schools, youth groups, and having a weekly bible study at my house.

But the money wasn't coming in like I needed it to.  Bills were getting overdue.  Tensions were flaring with me and my wife, and all of a sudden, my new business didn't seem like such a good idea.  I felt defeated and if I had been let down by God.  So I began to slow down.  I stopped having the bible study at my house.  I called a few places here and there, but for the most part I stopped prospecting for speaking engagements.  I would still write, but not with the same enthusiasm that I had before.

It felt like I had gotten into a fight with life and lost.  I started to do other things.  A job here, a job there.  And the next thing I know, a couple years had gone by.  My passion hadn't gone away, it was just buried in fear, disappointment, and lack of confidence.

So I decided to give it another try.  A couple of years had past.  I learned some valuable life lessons, and had developed more wisdom and insight on how to do things.

I declared to life, "I want a rematch"!  Sometimes, you have to declare to life that you want a rematch.  During the time period that you felt you had lost and now, you will have grown, become stronger, and learned things that are going to help you in your "rematch".  And the fact that you have an opportunity for a rematch,  means that God wants you to win.

So review the, "tape" of life.  Look at the mistakes you made before and learn from them.  Use the training, teaching, and development that life has given you, and declare "I want a rematch"!

1 comment:

  1. Powerful! I sometimes feel that way. Defeated by life in areas that I know I should be succeeding in, (Real Estate, Singing, Finances etc.). Thanks for the encouraging word. I am now going to go back and look at my tapes of life and analyze. I'm ready to announce my plans for a rematch. Thanks Jameen!

    ReplyDelete